Egg whites are a great source of low-calorie protein. You may already be a pro at scrambles and omelets and subbing whites for eggs in baked goods, but have you tried egg whites in oatmeal? Read on for two ways to make this must-try apart of your healthy-morning routine.
To make one bowl of oatmeal, start with the following ingredients:
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup liquid egg whites (or 2-3 whites from whole eggs)
- ⅔ cups water
On the stovetop
- Bring water to a boil. Lower heat and add the oats.
- Cook until liquid is almost fully absorbed.
- Add egg white and stir in vigorously until mixture begins to look fluffy (about 2 minutes). Cover pot and let sit 5 minutes before serving.
In the microwave
- In a microwave-safe bowl, mix oats, water, and egg whites.
- Microwave on high in 30-second intervals until cooked through, stirring between to prevent clumping.
1. Use milk instead of water for a creamier texture and even more protein.
2. To up the flavor without adding sugar, mix in cinnamon or pumpkin pie spices or even cocoa powder, plus vanilla extract,
3. Ground flax, wheat germ, and chia seeds to add heart-healthy fiber plus texture.
4. Mix in fruit or even veggies. Grated zucchini and grated carrots are a few of my favorite.
5. Top your bowl with nuts, seeds, or nut or seed butter. Fruit also makes a great topping, or you can use savory oats as a vehicle for leftover veggies.
6. Make a larger batch and portion out into single servings to have later. Microwave in 1-minute intervals until oats reach the desired temperature.
Store cooked oats in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Jessica Cording, MS, RD, CDN, is a registered dietitian, health coach, and writer with a passion for helping others experience a happier, calmer life and a balanced relationship with food. For those in need of some healthy-eating inspiration, Jess created five day's worth of delicious make-ahead lunches to make it even easier to eat well on a busy day. For more information on Jess, check out her website and follow her on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.